Friday 18 July 2014

KECY Camp 2014

I'm not sure what to tell you about my most recent trip to Slovakia. The thoughts and feelings that expand and shift during such an experience are difficult to put into words. They are magnified by the briefness and intensified by the nature of such a trip - like living an entire lifetime in a single week. Growing deep and old with people you've only just met. It is so beautiful, and so difficult. Its overwhelming, but in the best of ways. And when its over all you want to do is rush back in and do it again.


The camp theme for the week was the Upside Down Kingdom. We talked about how the kingdom of God is so backwards from the world we live in. It is a theme that continues to jump out at me when I'm reading my bible - how crazy God's plan sounds to us! But when we look at our world and what makes sense to us, we can see that it doesn't work. Our world is a mess, our logic is flawed, and it is truly our kingdom that is upside down. We spent time in our discussion groups talking about happiness, forgiveness, love, worry, and Jesus as our Ruler and King.

My group, Imagine Red, was one of my all-time favorites. We were all at least a little bit introverted and absolutely terrible at sports, but we became such good friends! I loved walking into the dining room and seeing them all sitting together, people who only a week earlier had never met.



Some years at camp you get to know one or two students really well and other years it feels like you get to know the whole camp. This year was one of the latter ones for me. I really enjoyed reconnecting with old friends and meeting so many new ones. This was espeically important and one of biggest reasons I chose to go this summer. I really wanted to build a foundation with as many students as possible before I move to Levice in November. 
Before I left for camp I had been struggling with a lot of fears. Mostly fears concerning lonliness and depression. I was afraid I would move to Levice and get stuck in a routine that didn't involve seeing friends or meeting new people. Afraid that I would be too tired or scared to try or that no one would want to make an effort with me. But God is always good, and the peace that I felt and still feel after coming home is a gift. I was so encouraged to hear that people were excited to have me come! I've already made plans with a few of students to come to their football matches or try out their jumping class. And I've agreed with several students to help them practice their English if they help me with my Slovak. I think it is a good trade.

I also met my roommates and got a tour of the flat I will stay in. They are two of the sweetest girls! I've known one for several years, and I met the other at our camp after party. This was simply another blessing that I didn't expect. I know that it is not usually good for me to live alone, especially in a new place, but God took care of that need without any thought or effort of my own.
"God is my Father, He loves me, and I will never think of anything that He will forget, so why should I worry?"-Oswald Chambers

God's provision is something I continue to run into on this journey.The flat is small and "vintage" as the girls call it. I'd call it orange. But it is one big, orange blessing!


"In the same way the gospel is bearing fruit and growing throughout the whole world - just as it has been doing among you since the day you heard it and truly understood God's grace."
I love the global nature of Christ and His kingdom. And I love that God allows me to be a part of it. This short trip to Slovakia has only increased my excitement for the next few years. I can't wait to be over there and really involved in the students' lives! Thank you for walking with me on this journey.


Our amazing Slovak team. These people put in hours and hours of work months in advance to make camp happen. They are some of the most amazing people I know, and I can't wait to join their team this fall!
Waiting for students to arrive on day one.
Ready to welcome students. It was so fun to have my brother with me!  
First evening program - introducing the Upside Down Kingdom.  
My good friend Čičo. He came to KECY for the first time three years ago, and now he is on the leadership team and doing an awesome job!

She is my new favorite t-shirt.
A few of the Doctor Who fans at camp. We're planning a fish fingers and custard party when I get over there.
Siblings group photo.
Seeing the castle in Levice after camp.

KECY Band at our camp after party. We invite all the students and their parents to the youth center in Levice to have a mini camp program.
Got to spend some quality time with the Rumbold family in Bardejov after camp.

Enjoying our girl time.

Just a few of my favorite people. Loved catching up with Ed, Wendi, and Seth and playing with the kiddos.


No comments:

Post a Comment